Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wednesday - Lunch with the Druze/Beach Party Finale'




Today we had a great learning experience. We scrimmaged the Open Women for a third time. When Jason Neidell the coach of the Open Women (and my room mate here) asked what I wanted out of the scrimmage I told him that I wanted his best out of his team. They totally thrashed us. Not only on the score 4 - 0 but they physically pushed and bullied us around.

We were tired from touring (but so were they), some of us were a bit sick from a stomach bug (but so were they) but the difference as I told the girls was the maturity and experience of the Open Team. They were able focus on the game at hand and take care of the business at hand. They showed us the mental toughness and discipline is needed to preform at the next level. I particularly wanted our players who will be playing in college shortly to experience what that was like. As I said, it was a great learing experience for us.

After the match we boarded our bus for a trip up north to have lunch with the Druze. A people who not only make wonderful food but taught the kids about the diversity of Israel and evidence that people of very differenct cultures can live together and thrive here.

After lunch we went to the Kinerit for a beach party and Bar B Q. We also had a chance to relect on what we saw, learned and felt over the past several days of touring. Unfortunately we also said goodbye to our Fantastic Guide, Rachel Smith. She truely brought history alive for us.

I also was able to sit with each player and have individual discussions about their experience thusfar and their choice of Captain. I was once again amazed at how insightful our players are.

Tomorrow I'll announce the outcome.

Tomorow morning we check out of Kfaf Maccabiah and transfer to Shefyim which will be our home during the competititions.

No comments:

Post a Comment